From unique lights and other ingenious types of home décor, to funky hair dye and up cycled denim clothing, the Lowveld markets are the perfect places to pick out Christmas gifts that are out of the normal.
Should you be lucky enough to be heading to the Lowveld for your Christmas break (and we recommend that you do, this holiday season is shaping up to be an exciting one with plenty of things to do, check out our last blog!), then these are some of the weekend markets as well as the interesting stalls that you can visit.
I Love Local
The I Love Local market is one that has been around for a while and changed locations a few times. Now hosted in the middle of Nelspruit, on the lawns outside of the popular Crossings Shopping Centre, the I Love Local Market has almost 100 stalls, offering all sorts of things.
Under the baking Lowveld sunlight and out in the fresh air, shoppers can mingle with one another while browsing through the many things to buy. You can enjoy freshly squeezed juice and homemade fruit smoothies, grab a gin while you enjoy your walk around the stalls, and you can pick up all sorts of snacks and meals along the way.
As for Christmas shopping, you’ll find pot plant holders, pickles and jams, bath booms, face creams and soaps, fresh honey and nuts, and wooden toys.
Stand Out Stalls
- Bean Textiles and Hunny Rabid – Looking for something truly different, look no further. Bean Textiles and Hunny Rabid are a sister team who manufacture one of a kind printed materials and with that material they make bags and clothing. On the other side of the stall, under the Hunny Rabid banner, they sell fun, colourful washout hair dye.
- Art by Murray – Local artist Michelle James creates the most beautiful prints, cutting boards, and dining wear featuring local trees. They are the ideal gifts for anyone looking to give something unique.
Steiltes Night Market
A bit of Christmas shopping done under dazzling Christmas lights and that luminous Lowveld moon is something you can experience when you visit the Steiltes Night Market. With a range of exhibitors selling the most beautiful things, you can complete all of your 2020 Christmas shopping with one visit to this market.
Stand Out Stalls
- Wurstchenbude – The German Shack – Traditional, and mouthwatering we might add, German food is something everyone should try at least once (or twice or more!). The German Shack prepares authentic German foods at ridiculously good prices and you can find their stall at this market.
BFM at Casterbridge
About 20 minutes from Nelspruit, in the cool mountain air of White River, you’ll find one of the oldest and best supported markets: BFM at Casterbridge. Originally hosted across the road at Baghdad Shopping Centre, the market grew so fast that it need a bigger home, which it found at Casterbridge.
With a nod to the original farmers markets, at Casterbridge you can find all sorts of fresh produce, as well as artisanal Macadamia oils, pickles, jams and preserves, and naturally infused Kombucha juices. You can also find various knick knacks, toys, jewellery, handmade creams, fresh flowers and more.
Stand Out Stalls
- Bush Wood Creations – Know someone who is keen on all things eccentric and steampunk? This is the stall to visit. The unique creations that are made by Bush Wood Creations are made to mesmerise.
- Plain Jane – Handmade jewellery for every occasion, Plain Jane creates some gorgeous accessories that make for perfect gifts and spoils.